Custom Search

Monday, September 11, 2006

Republican Strategies!

Legalizing Marijuana - A New Republican Strategy?
by Mike Rhodes ( MikeRhodes [at] Comcast.net )
Thursday Aug 3rd, 2006 6:06 PM
The Republican Party has a new voter registration project in Fresno. It involves luring people to sign a LEGALIZE MARIJUANA petition and then re-registering them as Republican

Legalizing Marijuana - A New Republican Strategy?
By Mike Rhodes

The attractive young woman says to me, "would you sign our petition to legalize marijuana?" I don’t have to think twice and say "sure, where do I sign?" That is when it got interesting. She says, "Do you have your ID with you?" "Well, yes I do, but what does that have to do with..." I say as she responds with "oh, we just have to verify your ID." Thinking that this has something to do with making sure they have valid names for a ballot initiative I comply.

As I’m filling out my name and address on the petition I notice that the young lady is filling out a very official looking form. Probably just the ballot initiative form, I think to myself. Then, she says "is it OK if I register you as a Republican?" "What?!?" I say "yes, I do mind! What are you doing?" She says that if I register Republican she will get an extra 10 cents. But, I complain, "I don’t want to re-register." She explains that this is just to update the records for the County Clerks office. I repeat that "I do not want or need to update my records." I am repeatedly told that it is OK and that they just want to update my voter registration records. She also tells me that she is working for the Republican party, being paid hourly, and that the ploy about the "10 cent bonus" was not accurate.

This Republican party employee goes on to tell me that she is there to attract people to the table that is set up in Fresno’s Courthouse Park, and that the legalize marijuana petition is just a prop. She confirmed that there is no ballot initiative to legalize marijuana. She said that the petition will be given to an elected official in Sacramento. I have my doubts about that.

At this point in the conversation, she called over her "boss" who was talking with someone a short distance away. I introduced myself as the editor of the Community Alliance newspaper and said I was interested in writing a story about the petition campaign and their registering people with the Republican party. I guess that wasn’t the right approach to get him to open up to me. The "boss" gave me no information. He even refused to give me a copy of the marijuana legalization petition I had just signed.

Later that day I called Victor Salazar, the Fresno County Clerk. Salazar said that the process sounded deceptive and that I might want to call the Secretary of State fraud investigation unit. I called the number for the fraud investigation unit repeatedly today. Apparently, nobody was in the office today and all I got was an answering machine. I will continue to call.

I also went back to Courthouse Park today to see the Republican Party project was again in full operation. They seemed to have different approaches to different groups. To white men that looked like they might be attorneys, they asked if they were registered to vote. When Latinos walked by they would throw out the legalize marijuana angle.

###

http://www.fresnoalliance.com/home
The Petition
by Mike Rhodes Thursday Aug 3rd, 2006 6:06 PM

Republican Party employees used this petition to lure people to their table. Once there, they re-registered them with the Republican Party.

Courthouse Park
by Mike Rhodes Thursday Aug 3rd, 2006 6:06 PM

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pot got Jesse elected. The Republicans are getting wise.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Bob said...

It is a commonly held belief through experience of many that marijuana is the least harmful mind stimulant available. Winning out over alcohol which is legal.

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm 50 and I have smoked marijuana since I was 16. I've managed to accumulate substancial wealth, and I know others who have too. marijuana never detoured my ambitions as some organizations would have people believe.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is RICK MONS?

It's no fun without you here to bat around Rick.

Won't you consider comming back?

We will try and be a little nicer to you.

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Then have another Ol Mill, and sit there peeking out your window to see what the neighbors might be doing tonight. Myself I have better things to do in my life than to be a nosey neighbor looking for a neighbor pick on.

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a deal in progress right now in tht area. I am buying some rental property. Do you want to sell your place? The name of my company is Big Slums.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home